Make the Most of Small Business Saturday With These Tips
As a salon and small business owner during the pandemic, you know that making the most out of promoting your small business is more important than ever before. And as shoppers focus more on supporting local businesses, women-owned businesses and black-owned businesses during this holiday season, we’re here to help make sure you are set up for success on Small Business Saturday and all season long.
What is Small Business Saturday?
Small Business Saturday was created by American Express to support the Shop Small movement during the recession in 2010. Small Business Saturday is held on the Saturday after Thanksgiving and is designed to encourage people to shop small in an effort to help our businesses and communities thrive. The annual holiday tradition now is supported in all 50 states.
Why it Matters (More Than Ever)
62% of U.S small businesses have reported that they need to see consumer spending return to pre-COVID levels by the end of 2020 to stay in business. This is especially true for salon owners as you navigate the ups and downs of COVID-19 closures. From offering less services, to reduced hours and more time between appointments, it’s been a tough nine months for those who provide personal services.
Tips for Making the Most Out of Small Business Saturday
As the nation turns its attention and support to small businesses this weekend, here are some tips on how to make the most out of the opportunity for your salon.
- Use the available tools: American Express offers many tools you can use to get the word out to your clients. Their Shop Small Studio provides easy to use tools to create customizable marketing materials to keep your salon top of mind for shoppers.
- Promote on Social Media: Posting on social media isn’t enough. Take the time to sit down and come up with a small business social media strategy for your salon. Look at what your competitors are doing and understand your customer demographics. Check out the marketing and advertising strategies social media platforms such as Facebook’s Elevate for example are offering small businesses. Social media is a great way to promote your business through local, targeted ads that are easy to create.
Promote Your Retail Sales: Small Business Saturday is a great time to take inventory on your salon retail stock. Do you have the right products on hand to promote sales? What do you need to carry to drive additional holiday sales? Consider the following ideas to help boost holiday sales in your salon:
- Carry Holiday Gift Sets. Gift sets are the perfect way to potentially expand your customer base. Once someone new tries a professional product, odds are they will return for additional products and services.
- Stock up on your retail inventory and create your own holiday gift baskets.
- Hold a Small Business Saturday sale on your retail products.
- Put together gift sets based on skin type and skincare routines.