June 30, 2020Body Care
Our Guide To Preventing Ingrown Hairs After Waxing
It’s time to head back to the salon, and as you start waxing again you may encounter a few ingrown hairs. Painful, unattractive, and irritating, no one wants a great bikini or Brazilian wax overshadowed by the dreaded ingrown hair. It is possible to prevent ingrown hairs after waxing with a few simple pre and post-care steps. Read on and find out how to say bye-bye to those bumps this summer.
- Exfoliate: This is the key to a successful wax. Preparing the skin with a liquid body wash using exfoliating gloves on a regular basis ensures their skin is free of dead skin cells, and that the skin and hair are soft prior to waxing. Regular exfoliation also encourages proper hair growth and can eliminate ingrown hairs from popping up post-wax.
- Hydrate: If your skin is dry; it will break off at the skin level instead of at the follicle. Nourish your skin by moisturizing up until the day of your wax appointment (don’t moisturize day of!) with an ultra-rich body lotion that features all-natural emollients, vitamins, and pure essential oils.
- Keep It Clean: Arriving clean to your wax appointment means a better outcome. Showering before is good, just don’t apply anything too oily to the area being waxed; and be sure to skip that workout. Save the self-tanners and body sprays for after your appointment.
- Exfoliate Again: As we said, this is key to the perfect wax. Begin exfoliating and moisturizing the skin 24-hours after any wax appointment, using the same body wash and exfoliating gloves, focusing on waxed body parts. When the hair does start growing back, the exfoliating helps the hair point up and grow in the right direction—opposite of skin.
- Educate Yourself: Ask your wax professional what they do immediately following your wax to help prevent ingrown hairs. The best pros will add an essential oil to calm and cool the skin, use a soothing cream to take the redness and heat out of the skin, and apply something that will help with blemish control. These steps will go a long way in keeping the follicle clear, suppressing bacteria, and preventing ingrown hairs.
- Keep it Simple: Remember to wait for 24-hours before working out and stay away from tight-fitting clothing for a few days. Let your skin breathe a little for a day or so—no direct heat or sun, avoid any friction and heavy lotions or deodorants.