Botanicals. You might say we’re their biggest fan thanks to our Mom, skincare pioneer Eva Friedrichs. She was relying on nature to create effective skincare products long before it became cool. Now as the skincare demand continues to shift towards all-natural ingredients, botanicals are taking center stage. So which of mother nature’s best little kept secrets are Tuel’s favorites? There definitely are a few that we think are skincare game changers. Read on for our top picks and a few thoughts on how they benefit the skin.
What Are They and Why Should You Use Them?
There’s definitely a process to creating a skincare powerhouse that includes all-natural ingredients. A botanical (plant-derived) extract is made from a plant’s roots, flowers, fruit, seeds, bark, or leaves. Those all-natural extracts then produce a liquid or powder that is dissolved into a solvent and then mixed with other ingredients. Full of antioxidants and vitamins, botanicals work to protect your skin against free radicals, fight acne, combat oily skin, and work to reduce fine lines, wrinkles, and hyperpigmentation. Highly concentrated, only a small amount is needed for maximum results…plus you are doing something good for the environment and yourself by eliminating synthetic ingredients from your skincare routine. Enough said.
Our Plant-Based Faves
We believe in loving all things (people, plants, pets) equally, however, we do have a few favorites when it comes to botanicals. Check out the ones that top our list:
- Aloe: Yes, this is the darling of skincare right now, but it’s for good reason. Who are we to question the power of something the ancient Egyptians called the “plant of immortality.” When it comes to reducing inflammation and calming down sensitive skin, aloe can’t be beat.
- Ginger: Not to be outdone in the inflammation department, ginger is also very effective at calming down sensitive or acne-prone skin. Plus, it is packed with close to 40 antioxidants that prevent against free-radicals and premature aging.
- Mushroom: They might just be magical for your skin. Suffering from rosacea or eczema? Look for products that include mushrooms high on their ingredient list. And they are known to fight aging and brighten the skin.
- Goji Berry: Looking to hydrate, strengthen, and protect your skin, especially around the eyes? Goji Berry is an antioxidant-packed superfood that moisturizes, tones, and brightens.
- Chamomile: Kinder, gentler skincare is definitely having a moment, and one of the biggest stars is chamomile. Known for conditioning and soothing skin, it’s an ideal ingredient in a scrub. This combination will gently nourish the skin while buffing away dead skin cells and promoting cell renewal.